[REVIEW] FAULT IN OUR STARS MOVIE REVIEW

01:06 Cyndi 0 Comments

Blogged about the novel here. Review is down below - click here

I had the utmost pleasure of seeing an advanced screening of 'The Fault in Our Stars' yesterday as my friend won two tickets through a student competition. She had already watched it once and I was so excited and extremely overwhelmed that my friend chose me out of all of her 900 Facebook friends to go watch it with!

We got to the Belmont Reading Cinema by bus after uni at 5pm and decided to get popcorn. Then we decided to buy drinks as well but then there was a line already forming so I waited in line while my friend bought the drinks and by the time she got the drinks a line had formed from all the way to the outside of the building!!! We also had to give our phones to the crew as we weren't allowed to have any cameras/phones in the building but the two men with the metal detectors couldn't even detect the huge ass laptop and my small iPod we were carrying in our bags haha (Fake metal detectors)

The screen was huge and there were so many people. Luckily we got in early and grabbed great setas! These are the only two photos I have of yesterday as we weren't allowed photos inside the cinema.



This was the before and after photos of watching the film. Need I say more? 

Now onto my short review (may include spoilers):




The world certainly is not a wish-granting factory. If it was, The Fault in Our Stars would've ended up as a happy ending and sadly, it does not. I really had my doubts you know whether it would be a good/bad movie but safe to say I think it does a rather good job. I'll include that it does a better job at making you cry your eyes out than the novel does which is feat by itself. I only cried twice whilst reading the novel but in the movie I lost count the number of times I found myself with tears sliding down my face. 

The actors did such a great job and I think Ansel Elgort made the perfect Augustus Waters even when I know me and many of my friends were a bit skeptical of whether or not he would be cut out for it. Shailene Woodley was so good and she sounded out of breath and all these tiny details that Hazel has. I definitely was not disappointed with the casting and thought that the only problem was the fact that I didn't get to know Augustus' parents as much as I did in the novel. They were likeable characters ya know? 

The soundtrack blew me away that I just HAVE to include this song which is my favourite so far from the album. Might I add that this song plays during the saddest part of the film :(



If you want to check out the rest of the soundtrack - you can on Spotify! Except they're missing Ed Sheeran's song -




They incorporated the soundtrack so well with the film and each song fit in with the particular scene which was a major part of the reason why it made me cry/the film so sad. They didn't play songs that were all sad and depressing - they played songs which fit exactly with the current situation of the scene and I HAVE MAJOR RESPECT AND APPLAUD whoever was in charge with the music direction and editing. You did an amazing job!

The ending was amazing, by the way, and the second half of the film is definitely a lot better than the first. The first part of the film reminds me of every other chick flick and teenage film with romance and everything. The second half of the film was what really made the film stand out but is also the painful and emotional section.

I actually really like the movie poster

 The dialogue is not cheesy at all and I think many people were a bit worried about that from the trailer. They incorporate many quotes from the novel but the dialogue is normal and not cringe-worthy. BUT THEY DIDN'T INCLUDE SOME OF MY FAVOURITE QUOTES LIKE THE BRUTUS QUOTE OR THE CONSTELLATIONS QUOTE!!! I was plenty surprised with how they included the swear words though - that took me by surprise actually haha and especially 'the scene' - it's PG-13 though.

“But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Anyways, to end this short review, I'll just say GO WATCH THE FILM OKAY? OKAY. The film makes you laugh so much, makes you fall in love with the characters, makes you relate to them which in turn makes you CRY CRY CRY CRY. I was basically laughing and crying at the same time. It was like waaahhh :'( waaaahahahah ahahaahah XD.

P.S. I'm going to get hate for this but I so liked The Fault in Our Stars movie adaption way more than The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie adaption.

By the way, here is an extra haul of the shirt I bought from Princess Polly in Claremont. It is also the shirt I wore to TFiOS screening.





Currently reading IQ84 by Haruki Murakami // Fits the shirt so much!!

0 notes :